Friday, December 3, 2010

Another Point of View

My very recent post about acrimony in public discourse immediately led me to think about something I heard (in part) yesterday and today. It was about the Democrats in the House of Representatives bringing up for a vote bills regarding the future of the “Bush Tax Cuts” that were doomed to failure because they will certainly not make it through the Senate.

Much was said about that being a hollow gesture, a play to placate their political base, etc. All of which I agreed with.

Then, in the mood of my last post, I realized.

Yes, it is a play to placate their political base – but is absolutely no different from what I desire from the Republicans in the early days of the new Congressional session. I want Republicans to pass a bill in the house to start the process to repeal the health care bill. I know it will almost certainly not pass the Senate, and in the highly unlikely event that it was to do so, it would certainly be vetoed by Obama. And the votes would not be there to overcome a veto. So why do I want it done? To put the “other guys” on record, and for the Republicans to show that they are listening to their political base.

Exactly the same thing the Democrats were doing on their votes.

Some games are absolutely necessary in politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment